Pool Building, Renovation and Repair
Call us today schedule your “In Home Consultation” . .
If you are thinking about acquiring a new pool, here are a few things to to consider as you interview swimming pool contractors.
A swimming pool is one of the most valuable assets in a home and it can be the place your family and friends share some of the best times of their lives. Beautiful swimming pools don’t have to come at a premium. McMillion Pool Co. offers many reasonably priced swimming pool design choices. We install the latest manufacturing technology in Fiberglass and Vinyl Swimming pools.
McMillion Pool Co. will show you choices in the pool shape and design and help you explore options such as including a spa, tanning ledge, or water feature. We will also explain money saving material and equipment options to empower you with a strategy to reduce long term pool maintenance costs.
Is your swimming pool in need of repair ? There is more to a pool than most people realize and if you don’t have much experience in keeping it clean there are a number of ways you can damage it. If you think your pool equipment is not operating properly call the McMillion Pool Company at
Here is a list of “Common Pool Mistakes to avoid…”
- Not checking your swimming pool’s chemistry often enough. Check the pool or spa chemistry twice per week in the summer and once per week in the winter. By doing this you can make minor adjustments to your pool & spa water chemistry instead of big adjustments that create a wild up and down graph of activity.
- Allowing the pool & spa pH to get above 8.0. At 8.5 chlorine is only 10% active. At 7.0 it is about 73% active. By just maintaining pH around 7.5 the chlorine is 50-60% active. Keeping the pool & spa pH in check will allow you to use to the full potential the chlorine that is already in the pool.
- Not keeping Pool & spa alkalinity between 80-140 PPM. Low or high alkalinity can affect water balance and ultimately a sanitizer’s ability to perform.
- Not checking pool & spa TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) or calcium hardness on a regular basis. Check TDS every 6 months and calcium hardness every month. These also affect water balance which is different from sanitation, although related.
- Not cleaning the cells in salt water systems (chlorine generators). Corroded or calcified cells will produce little chlorine.
- Backwashing pool & spa sand or DE filters too often. If you do this, the filter can never reach its cleaning potential. If you backwash on a regular basis for no reason, you are wasting water. Most filters require backwashing when the pressure gauge rises 8-10 PSI from clean.
- Not cleaning the Pool & spa skimmer basket and/or hair and lint pot in the pool pump often enough. If these are full of debris you will get little flow resulting in poor circulation, potentially creating a big problem.
- Adding pool & spa chemicals, especially liquid chlorine, during the day. Try to add chemicals in the evening after the sun has set. You will get more out of them.
- Not brushing the pool & spa walls and tile down often enough. If your circulation system is suspect, and many are, brushing down the walls will help eliminate algae problems. Keeping your tile clean will save you money. Once the tile gets calcified it becomes like plaque and will take a specialist to get it off.
- Make sure that you keep the space between the bottom of the swimming pool or inground spa cantilever on the deck and the top of the tile in check. If this cracks, then put in some silicon. You do not want water migrating from the inside of the pool out under the decking.
- Not running pool & spa pumps long enough. You should run your pump about 1 hour for every 10 degrees of temperature. This assumes you have a decent circulation system. It is ALL about the FLOW! Circulation IS the key to a low maintenance swimming pool.
- Not replacing broken or missing poo & spa drains or suction sources. This a real and dangerous hazard. The same could be said for defective door/gate closers and fences in disrepair.
If you think your pool has been damaged call the McMillion Pool Company at 615-568-3826. We’re experts when it comes to swimming pool maintentance and repair.